View Single Post
Old 08-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,965 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Ummm.... if the encounter occurred as illustrated, then the encounter happened precisely as it is supposed to! You turned Starboard, he turned to Starboard. In any case I see no entitlement in the encounter, other than you being somehow inconvenienced by having to swing wider than you liked. You also had the option to slow a little let him pass and resume your course.

Also, why are you entitled to stake out a circular area of the lake for your exclusive use to pull a tube around? You can be mad them as much as they can be mad at you... entitlement goes both ways.

Yes I agree with you in that if it were me, I would do my best to drive around the area being used by the tubers. That being said, it reeks of entitlement that you got your feathers ruffled because they had the audacity to drive thru a portion of the lake you were using. In their defense, an area that has lots of navigational hazards.

Woodsy
Fair questions. In the posted scenario, the vessel chose the direct center rather than moving over for us both, which forced me closer to shore and all the docks there. I always try to stay to the 1/3 rule so as not to cause excessive wakes on land. It's not unlike people who slide towards center when coming through the Weirs channel and force others towards the rocks.

As for tubing, we had chosen an area again away from main traffic yet big enough to not cause too much wake action on shore. The few boats had as direct a route without going through where we were tubing.

In both cases, it not only forced us to stop/slow down when totally unnecessary but also forced me into situations that were less safe and had bigger impacts on land.

To me, it's equivalent to people walking down the center of the aisle at a grocery store.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: