View Single Post
Old 02-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #43
Major

Default Common Ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I get a chuckle when I get a nonplastic straw at the beginning of a meal and than get a styrofoam takeout container to bring leftovers home.
I'd rather see a way of collecting plastic straws so they get recycled instead of banning them.
Rusty and I actually agree on something! The plastic straw movement, so to speak, is wholly and completely a feel-good exercise. It makes little if no difference. Like Rusty, I'd rather see greater efforts made in preventing littering or encouraging recycling than banning things like plastic straws and plastic bags that make our lives easier. I just read that five nations in the Pacific (China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam) dump more plastic in the ocean than the rest of the world combined. This isn't an excuse to do nothing; however, we shouldn't destroy our economy or our way of life just to feel good about ourselves.

On a related note, I had a paper straw for the first time in my life last week. It broke down after 20 or so minutes, but the thing that I didn't like, and will take some getting used to, was the gritty texture. I guess I'm use to smooth straws.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post: