Thread: Summer Help
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #70
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
I ask you as the educator to please just take one student and promote a solid entrepreneurial work ethic. I believe that student will build for four years and then be in position to provide jobs to those who choose to spend four years in accumulating dept in college.

Educators play lesser of a role in molding success today.
To your first point, the majority of our students (scheduling sometimes prevents all) take both business and financing classes. We have a strong DECA program, and what is missed in specific classes is often made up across other disciplines. For example, math classes often use finances, taxes, etc. as material to teach concepts.

To your second point, that's absolutely false. Given the reduction of religion in today's youth, along with the increased need for many (most?) parents to work more/longer hours, students have increasingly turned to teachers, coaches, and other sources of mentorship than ever before. In fact, I'm confident one of the major reasons (some of) America's schools struggle is the reduction of positive influence outside of school. I'm a damn good teacher, but even at my best it's difficult to overcome a home-life marked by parental absence, substance abuse, mental illness, financial stress, domestic abuse, etc.

In the end, however, we agree that's there's real value in learning to have a strong work ethic and financial literacy/entrepreneurship.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote