View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #19
Poor Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
The materials they often change "for weight and cost savings" are what makes the difference between big box machines. Ask my friend, who just had to replace his "John Deere" walk-behind from HD because their version uses an unrepairable (cost-effective-wise) deck. A few hundred more at a mainline dealer would've saved him thousands of dollars, and hours of time, in the long run.

The other aspect of this discussion is that big box stores sell the homeowner, rather than pro versions.

To the OP, these two things might not matter much, but for me--and, historically, my philosophy has paid dividends--buying the "real thing" is worth the money.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
Lawn mower build quality is a completely different discussion and those are usually rebranded from a place called Acme Lawnmower Company. I would otherwise completely agree with you and would also be leery of the box store offerings in this regard.

For whatever it's worth, my "fake" Husq 455 has been deadbolt reliable in the years I've owned it and it has shown me that the XP was not worth the extra $200 to buy-in. This saw regularly handles 5+ cord to heat my home every winter in addition to the semi-regular tree work I already perform on the side.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote