Thread: Summer Help
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Seasonal or year-round help in this region is a challenge for many reasons. I've seen busy restaurant choose to close because they were under staffed.

Retirees and vacationers have driven rental values beyond affordable.

There is a generation that has been mislead about what a good work ethic is.

What may be that rare occasion that someone makes a mistake or fails to please a customer ends up a headline on an Internet review site. One has to have pretty tough skin to deal with that and the ribbing they take from their peers.

Why work when there are so many ways to live off the dole? More than once this has been the case, People have quite their job with us because the high earnings jeopardize their hand-outs'

College kids do have to go back to school but they also want to get a vacation so they often quite a week or two early.

I believe that the tide will turn soon because the robotic age is about to displace many workers. They won't find jobs building robots because robots build robots. People will be turning to the restaurant business in droves because the money can be very good when done well.

I opened during the great recession and could not keep up with the number of applicants, up until a few years ago. I have had standing "help wanted" ads out all season and am lucky to get an inquirer per week. Then for every ten interviews scheduled I'm lucky to have one show up. Then of every ten I hire, I'm lucky to get one to show for work. Then for every ten to come to work I'm lucky to get one who does work. Consequently I've had to hire some who I likely would have passed on, only to find myself being held hostage to their disrespect at times.

Each year I hire one or two young foreign workers. I wish I could keep them because they have the work ethics and respect for their job reminiscent of the 1970s.
You nailed it Baygo! Amen!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post: