View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #622
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'd prefer to have my rules and regulations created and enforced by experts, not those whose feelings are hurt by a loud boat.

Again, I do not own a GBFL.
Wow...
"those whose feelings are hurt by a loud boat"? That's the best spin I've seen regarding the noise issue yet, and quite frankly it speaks to why people will fight to keep their new law. The fact that you could trivialize a concern voiced by so many people as to why limits are needed and you feel you can boil the whole issue down to "those whose feelings are hurt by a loud boat" is amazing to me.
As has been previously noted, noise is part and parcel of the whole cowboy scenario so often noted by people on the lake and the media covering it. It has been a concern for those who manage the lake and depend on it for a living and who don't want tourism negatively affected. We have heard from forum members about ski boats who at 7 AM feel they can blast their expensive sound system for everyone in Winter Harbor to hear. We've heard about people who can hear GFBL's several miles inland on the hills overlooking the lake. You've heard from me today about people who can tear through a narrow channel at 11 at night (but 150' from shore) with a deafening roar waking up everyone on the shore. This is more than lack of common courtesy, it's a disturbance of the peace. And it doesn't "hurt anyone's feelings" but rather has galvanized people's support for a SL. Incidents like the one I described earlier have made many HATE, not dislike, certain boats or their drivers. We heard from a SL opposer this summer named SHREDDY who said he liked his bikes loud, liked his cars loud, liked his snow machine loud and liked his boat loud. He said something to the effect that he was proud of his toys and wanted to draw attention to them. He was quickly chastized by another SL opposer because this mentality is what is sometimes responsible for having landowners close their land to snow machines. He seems to have crawled away in shame because I have not seen any more posts from him on the SL threads.
In any case there are few SL opposers on this forum who clearly and sincerely love their boats and who seem to be quite respectful and concerned for how their actions might affect others. Should the SL remain, I will feel a certain sense of regret if not sadness for them, in part because a few mavericks like yourself who don't seem to get it have spoiled things for everyone. Hope I didn't "hurt your feelings".

Last edited by sunset on the dock; 11-19-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typing error