View Single Post
Old 11-13-2022, 02:22 PM   #42
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
Paying for kindling is............interesting. Not something I'd have ever thought was a thing in such a green area of the world. . . . SailinAway - I'd like to get back up there for a day to continue with the work we started...perhaps just before Thanksgiving? Could bring my chop saw to help with the kindling if need be. After reading a few of your comments, I'm also very curious to see your wood stove setup.
An exception to the "don't waste money on kindling rule" is when you run out of kindling and there's two feet of snow on the ground. Boulia Gorrilla used to sell huge bundles of kindling for a few dollars.

I only have a small quantity of long kindling left. I've been cutting it with a jigsaw one piece at a time and splitting the dozens of short chunks into kindling. Now I will explain why I wanted to cut the kindling shorter: long kindling is wasteful. To get a fire started, you don't need to fill the whole stove east to west. A pile half as long in the center of the stove will work just as well.

Poor Richard, if you think you can teach me to build a better fire, I'm all ears. You can also verify for the forum skeptics that there's no water in the closed radiators (or prove me wrong about that ). Email me and we'll figure out what's convenient for you.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote