View Single Post
Old 03-17-2022, 07:37 AM   #37
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I must be really old (I am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Literally almost every study shows that young people's circadian rhythms are different than really young and old people's. It's the reason why our grandparents would get up at 5 and our teens will sleep in until noon. There's no secret there.

Areas that have later start times for young people have improved academic scores, higher rates of attendance, better physical and mental health outcomes, reduced dependence in caffeine, fewer driving accidents...there's a multitude of benefits.

Besides, we're like totally talking about starting school at 8-9 AM, which is, like, EXACTLY the core starting time for "real jobs." Ya know, like the song says, "workin' 9-5, what a way to make a livin'!"

Oh, no—did I just slip into FLL for a moment there?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I must be really old (I am). I grew up in a household that had two parents working and me, the only child, going to school. We had one bathroom. I was always third for the bathroom. So I got up early so I could have my breakfast while waiting for Mom and Dad to finish their turn in the bathroom. Of course in the winter time, if it snowed, I became the snow removal company. That had to be done before I headed off to school. School started at 8, and I walked little over a quarter of a mile to catch the bus at around 7:15 in the morning.

In the summer, I still got up early because my friends and I would be packing up to go on a ride on our bicycles to spend the day fishing or exploring. In the summertime growing up, if you wanted to watch television at 9:30 in the morning, you got to watch a very interesting test pattern, because that's all that was on.

If you want the kids to have a more normal life pattern, kick them out of bed early, have them make their own breakfast, put limits on when television can be on, limits on the cell phones and the iPad or tablets, and send them outside to get fresh air and join in activities with their friends and Neighbors.

My humble opinion, is that parents today have allowed kids' "rhythms" to get so far out of whack. Your opinion probably will vary.

Dave