View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Chip - let her out. Yes, eventually you MIGHT break her of wanting to go out but it'll be tough till then. I have a cat (My sons?????) in the same situation. Ours has also left for days at a time then came strolling into the yard like it's nobodys business! If you talk with other people I believe you'll find that cats will do this. Mine was going to the door whining and also began pulling up carpet from around the walls (VERY annoying.) It's tough once they've got a taste of the outdoors. The way I look at it why keep them indoors miserable if they don't want to be. Far as predators that's always a possibility but cats are sharper than we give them credit.
Thanks dpg. I am inclined to let her out. I want her to be happy, but I want to be happy too! She does leave the yard, but usually hangs out on the nearby rock walls hunting chipmunks.
We do have a history of losing cats however, which is what makes me hesitant to let her out. We have dozens of acres of woods out back, and know that there are fox, coyote, fishers, and even occasional moose and bear. Many cats in my neighborhood have been lost to the predators.