View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #3
Orion

Default alternatives

We had weak wireless signal (VZ) at our location on the lake so I had, several years ago, added a cell repeater with an antenna on the roof. It worked OK. We also had Fairpoint DSL internet with a 3 Mbps download speed that was good enough to to stream Netflix.

Two things have changed. The iPhone (and maybe others) has a WiFi Calling feature that routes calls through WiFi if the phone signal is weak. I turned off the cell repeater and find the calls are pretty flawless now with the WiFi Calling (even better if I make iPhone-iPhone calls using FaceTime Audio), even in my steel-roof house in a weak cell zone.

The second thing that has improved is Fairpoint is now pairing copper phone lines to boost (double) DSL speeds. So, I now have a much better DSL model/WiFi router that downloads at 7 Mbps that I can even connect to from my neighbors house over 200' away. So now I can stream video and not have to tell everyone else to stay off the internet to avoid buffering. Very happy.

Last edited by Orion; 08-09-2017 at 08:06 AM. Reason: correct terminology for "WiFi Calling"
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote