View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 10:47 AM   #10
Mike_VT

hello, I boat on boat these lakes extensively and they are so very different. Winni is much busier with more towns to visit, which one of the reasons that I like boating on the lake and the water quality is excellent. Going from Meredith to Wolfeboro no big deal and not a "haul". Champlain very large and it takes time to go place to place, and because the lake is shale bottom and for other reasons the water quality in certain areas is not as nice as Winni. Not sure where your home base is going to be but the coast guard ramp right downtown is very good and mallets bay ramp is very good to, but can be super busy and downright crazy at times.

Champlain is more wide open with less rock hazards and essentially no markers. Get a map though. Much more relaxing of a cruise as pointed out way less "boneheads". You can find yourself even on a busy weekend being the only boat in sight. If you put in in Burlington I'd check out willsboro bay in NY directly across from Burlington...Indian bay marina good spot for lunch. Further down the lake Bouquet Bay (NY side)at the mouth of the Bouquet river is a good sandbar. Note the red buoy about 200 yards off shore, if heading south make sure to go around that lake goes from 200+ft to 15' in a matter of 50 yards or so. All sand but when heading into shore keep that buoy well to the stern starboard side . The sandbar goes way out and very shallow.

Finally watch the weather waves can easily kick up and it has the potential to makes the broads look like lake waukewan. Happy to talk offline as well. Mike
Mike_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike_VT For This Useful Post: