View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #492
sa meredith

Default just about done

I've just about had my fill of this thread...so couple final thoughts, from me.
I continue to be amused at the postings that read something like..."let's get him home, where he belongs"
"why hasn't this been overturned yet" "the Governor should just set him free"
Seriously people...what country do you live in...it doesn't work like that.
He was convicted by a jury, the judge then imposes a sentence in accordance with the law that "we the people" have created. There is NO ROOM OR PLACE for discretion. (Granted, there can be...like if he was terminally ill, and had a month to live, or something like that).
Stop saying/thinking/writing, he should just be set free. Under what law, I ask?
Attack and change the law...not the judge, jury, or governor.
Secondly...
I have sort of come full circle as the backround info surfaced here in this forum.
This woman used to live 2 miles from me, and was well known in town as a bit "off". 50 animals kept in a trailor, disrestpected police and other officials, and was known to be delusional... so,at first, I thought..well, maybe she was looking for trouble when she went to the propery that day. Maybe Ward was indeed frightened and was concerned for his safety.
However, it then comes out, that Ward is no stanger to police, and confrontation...and has a history of wanting to settle issues by brandishing, or even using, a firearm.
Sort of has that old school mentallity that while on his own property, he will set the rules and the law, not society.
It was asked earlier in this thread, why did this go so far???Why not just handled quickly, and locally? Well, my answer would be that, when the police got the call, and heard it was Ward Bird's property, they said "well, here we go again." And, although it may not be fair, because of his gun history, and earlier confrontation related to property issues...the woman had instant credibility with the police.
She said she was there to see some property for sale, and he brandished a firearm. He, in the past, has done battle with family over the selling of property, to the point where the police and guns where involved. So...how could they not believe her? Was he a victim of circumstance? Maybe.
Is she coocoo? Probably. Did Ward break the law, and was it not the first time? You know what...yeah, I think so.