View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 06:50 AM   #464
Rusty

Christine Harris states: “she was the victim and calling Bird and his family liars”.

Below is the article that is in todays LDS:
By Gail Ober
THE LACONIA DAILY SUN

CONCORD — A nearly 400-page pardon package concerning the Moultonborough man convicted of criminal threatening was delivered to the governor and Executive Council’s office yesterday. The package was compiled by the Office of the Attorney General and contains Ward Bird’s three sentence request for a hearing, letters of support from his family, friends and supporters, the petition signed by hundreds of people supporting his pardon request and trial documents prepared by former Carroll County Attorney Robin Gordon, whose office prosecuted him. Bird, 49, was convicted of criminal threatening in 2008 after a jury trial. N.H. law requires a manditory sentence of 3-6 years in state prison for crimes committed with guns. The N.H. Supreme Count unanimously upheld the verdict and Bird has been in jail since November — first at the N.H. State Prison and most recently at the Carroll County House of Corrections. It also contains a two-page typed statement from Christine Harris, the woman who said she was lost when she drove into Bird’s driveway in April 2006 and was subsequently threatened by Bird with a handgun when she got out of her car. “No person in his right mind would (sic) do what he did. No one would pull a hand gun (sic) on someone unless he was comfortable doing this before,” she typed in block letters telling the governor and council that she was the victim and calling Bird and his family liars. Harris went on to say that she believes she has been villianized by the media — in the time since her altercation with Bird she has been charged with animal cruelty and animal hoarding — and that she thinks he should have been kept in the New Hampshire State Prison. Gordon stated that her prosecution of Bird was based on “the dangerous use of a firearm” and that he initially told investigating officers that he “’overreacted and owes Harris an apology.’” “I have always been concerned about and willing to prosecute crime involving the misuse of guns and other dangerous weapons,” Gordon wrote. “However, I have also been open to resolving cases when there is an expression of remorse and acknowledgment of responsibility for the criminal action,” she continued. “Mr. Bird was and still is unwilling to acknowledge any wrongdoing on his part.” Those defending Bird testified to his upstanding character and his demonstrated willingness to help those in need. “Ward is among the most up-right and honest men I have ever met,” wrote Rev. Carol Snow-Asher the pastor of the Center Harbor Congregational Church attended by Bird and his family. “There are few people in this congregation (or in the community) who have not been recipients on some kindness from Ward and his family,” she continued. Also writing letters of testimony for Bird’s good character were former Police Chief Scott Kinmond and current Chief Thomas Dawson, who was a corporal when he investigated the complaint against Bird by Harris. “While I can’t opine that a complete pardon at present would be appropriate, I do believe that a commutation of his sentence that would allow him to live at his home and to continue working would be fitting and better serve the interests of justice,” Dawson said. Other letters of support come from people whose children are Boy Scouts. “I want you to approach this pardon request knowing that there are not just boys, Cub Scouts who like, trust, and count on Ward Bird, but behind each and every one of them is a parent, or two, that entrusted Ward with their sons,” wrote Rebecca L. Bryant who is a Justice of the peace and the parent of a Boy Scout. Ward’s Bird’s request for a pardon is but one of seven that will be considered by Gov. John Lynch and the Executive Council at their meeting on Jan. 19. Lynch’s press secretary Colin Manning said the Executive Council will only decide, at that time, if Bird should get a pardon hearing.