Thread: It Figures....
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #85
VtSteve

There are WINNFAB people here that are anonymous, some with more than one name, some several. They love secrecy. There were two now infamous accidents on Winni, one of which happened after the skipper that caused it became totally sloshed when drinking at a certain establishment. The Court documents contained testimony as to his inebriation, his wild actions, and his going down to get in his boat. He was so sloshed, he first forgot to untie the boat before leaving

Shortly after that, people got together to try an get a speed limit passed. One person that was very helpful and supportive of these actions, was the owner of the restaurant where the skipper that caused the accident drank himself silly. Mysteriously, no receipts were available for the jury to see just how much and how often. The testimony was clearly evident. IMO, I think the same accident would have occurred if that area had been a NWZ. I also think that the same accident, which in testimony given was at 28 mph, still would have happened today.

IMNSHO, that accident would NOT have occurred if the restaurant in question had not so blatantly over-served the inebriated skipper. Perhaps proper training was given to employees AFTER this took place, and BEFORE the owner became so preoccupied with a personal vendetta? Who knows, nobody discusses this.

There are people that have

What I do know is what almost every law enforcement officer on the planet knows.

1) Most accidents occur at night, and most are alcohol-related.

(nice of the WINNFAB folks to start taking an interest in BUI lately)

2) The common cause of daytime accidents is inattention, too fast for conditions, too close to other boaters. Also, outright arrogance, selfish behavior and all that.

3) The VAST majority of all accidents on the lake have been at speeds lower than the current speed limits.

4) Give the MP a mission to combat BUI, and reckless behavior that endangers people, and the situation will only improve.

Warning: No facts have been killed, nor is this a cowardly drive-by random attack on anyone's character. If any of this is offensive to anyone, feel free to thank me below. Feel free to add some facts that I might have omitted. If you think #1 through #4 are not true, feel free to pass them by any Law Enforcement Officer or agency for review.

There are those that continue to think safe waterways can happen with public support, and with OPEN, honest public discussions. Safety can happen if everyone is upfront, and involved. It can happen only if the MP is given both the mission and the resources to do just that. Sadly, those promoting speed limits never worked with the MP, and had an antagonistic relationship with them. Sadly, safety is not in their agenda.