View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #93
ApS

Arrow Winter Harbor Has No "Fetch"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Maxim, let me ask 2 questions:

1) when two waves,man made or otherwise, of the same frequency & direction coincide what happens? Isn’t the amplitude of the resulting wave the combination of the 2 waves?

2) Isn’t a man made wave subject to the effects of the wind in the same way as a natural wave if that man made wave is moving in the same direction as the wind?
• See the two witnessed "wave" events below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Wave energy can combine.
While @ Popham Beach in Maine we enjoyed 2 ft waves in 2 sets. A small island 'broke' the steady waves into 2 similar wave sets, one from the right side of the island and one from the left. Those 2 wave sets had their direction modified slightly from friction? going around the island so we had chop 'right' & chop 'left' converging on us from 2 angles maybe 30 degrees apart. Occasionally a wave from the two wave sets matched precisely when meeting and create a single vertical pyramid wave of 4ft+ just as it reached the beach. Great fun diving into those until getting SLAPPED down from behind while standing knee deep in 2ft waves but looking back at the beach.
• Maybe 10+ years ago, I wrote of seeing a "wave" being created that reached 10-feet high. A similar "wave" knocked me off my 18' sailboat.

I had the temerity to leave Winter Harbor just as two cruisers ran in—side by side. I was midway between them, so grabbed a stainless steel shroud to hang on. I was thrown overboard anyway, and fell through a nest of lines that had preceded me into the water. My feet got snagged on the lines, and I was dragged about 100-yards before I could pull myself back on board. Did you know wearing a PFD will "aim" a firehose at your face in this circumstance? I didn't either. I then noticed a yellow aluminum boat standing-by, who'd witnessed the "wave". I waved him (and his concerned-looking dog in the bow) off, thanking him.

• The long version appeared at this forum, but even Google can't find it.

• As we all know, trees grow from a seed. This seed apparently started growing in mid-air. (At the very bottom of the below attachment, my black shoe can be seen under the roots). What happened to this sapling? Well, it was a Maple that was about 50-years old, died, broke off a few years later, and the stump can't be found today.

• A picture of erosion for the OP—and MAXUM-Theorists—follows:
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post: