View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #25
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Think the key thing here is being new to this, with time you'll figure out how best to handle your boat in the conditions that you find yourself in and that is invaluable. The broads can be tricky and it doesn't take much wind to get things a little "nautical" out there. As the season winds down more care needs to be taken as if you get into trouble help maybe slow to arrive. Any time I head out after Columbus day I pretty much expect that I'm on my own should anything bad happen.

The weather reports that are given via National Weather on VHF depending on the station you pick up will actually provide not only lake water temps but also forecast expected wave\chop size. I know this is for sure broadcast on KZZ-41 @ 162.500 MHZ from the top of Mt Washington. I have that programmed into my HAM radio and refer to it on occasion as needed. I believe most if not all marine radios also have access to these broadcasts which to me are helpful as they also let you know when severe weather is threatening.

They broadcast information for both Lake Winnipesaukee and Sebago Lake.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote