View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 08:32 AM   #12
nhcatrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Let me see if I can remember all this stuff about truck brakes from 13 years ago?

Big trucks with air brakes have an automatic emergency brake system that is not controlled by the driver. Normally, an air brake system operates with 120psi air, and when it falls below 60psi, the emergency spring mechanisms will immediately set the brakes on all the wheels for a very very fast stop. The brake air lines that provide 120psi air to each set of dual wheel brakes are rubber hoses strung below the truck body. If one rubber air supply hose breaks or disconnects, then the 120psi immediately loses air fast, drops below 60psi, an alarm buzzer sounds, the red and yellow big brake set buttons pop up on the right side of the dashboard and the driver knows the truck will come to a screeching halt very fast and he has seconds to move it onto the breakdown lane, or someplace, while the emergency springs set the brakes, and the vehicle is stuck on that spot until the air brake system problem is fixed.

Could be the fast turn off into the Hart's parking lot plus the weight of the shifting water in the 9000-gal tank trailer worked together to flip it over?

Truck brakes use old style drum brakes, and the front two wheels that steer the truck do not have any brakes.

Say hey ........ how's that sound for a believable "sidewalk supervisor" explanation without seeing anything ........ duh yeah ...... Lakes Region
Community College, 2005, cdl truck driving class ...... and I could a been the greatest truck driver ever, ever, ever........ if only....... duh yeah?

Is always best to put some big space between your car and a big truck ......like, no kidd'n!

Was anybody injured or killed ........ hopefully not?
Close. The steer axle does have brakes. This could have been something as simple as a broken service brake line at the pedal, trailer service brake line could have been compromised, mechanical failure to name a few.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote