View Single Post
Old 07-04-2022, 05:41 PM   #73
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I read an interview with a battery lawnmower manufacturer (I can't remember which one) who said their mower had been tested to last 450 hours. If you mow 2 hours a week for 20 weeks (May-September), that's 40 hours a year. So 450 hours would be 11 years.

Estimates of how long a battery-powered mower will last vary widely:

Bob Vila: 5 years
TotalGardener.com: 8-10
GardenToolExpert.com: 7-13
Insider.com: 10
TheLawnReview: 5-7

But there is agreement that the battery will last 3-5 years, although premature battery failures are widely reported in Amazon reviews.
Batteries and tools that are not taken care of will prematurely fail.
A lot of the above is with average lawns that have not been redesigned to reduce yard work.

It has taken billions in marketing to get homeowners to go to a four step fertilizer schedule... watering so intense that automatic sprinkler systems are desirable... and mowing up to four times a month.
Then reseeding when the plants reach their end of life.

Each tool has an expected number of hours in its lifespan... brushless no one is sure of. Each battery has an expected number of charge cycles in its lifespan... the number of years estimate is based on their estimate of the number of charge cycles a battery will receive over those years... and the warranty is placed toward the lower end of that to avoid a lot of warranty claims.

The change in tech is partially market driven... but many times its a change in requirements of a major market. The California Air Resource Board controls a lot of yard tools and even gas can designs.

It is like certain oil based deck stains... banned in NH from selling them in more than a quart... I can go to Vermont and buy them in the gallon and five gallon version.

In either case, now that you have the EGO platform... I suspect when the Craftsman goes, a new EGO string trimmer will be its replacement. It is just how these things work.

When we finally get the yards right-sized, I suspect the old rotary mowers will come back in style.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote