View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #80
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It's gotta be cold out there at night—have you discussed your house heating/insulation situation anywhere on the other threads? I'd be interested to know how you deal with the temps/light/snow this late in the season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I have not...we live in a log house, so the walls aren't insulated with anything, but the walls are thick and solid wood. I insulated the crap out of the ceiling, but the floors are not insulated. We can basically heat the house during the day just by turning interior lights on, saving the precious propane for the gas fireplace when absolutely needed... too late in the year to get propane deliveries, so what we need I have to lug out myself. Happy about the time change, so now I can actually see how foggy the lake is when i leave in the morning! :-) Evening rides are all gonna be in the dark now, but full moons light the way ( now that most navigation lights are gone ), but I have gps so it's all good. I've been coming out of Mt. View and someone on Bear has been lit up like a Christmas tree on weekends so following those lights ( best navigational aid on the lake, next to the green rope lighting on Mink ) make it easy! I've kept a windshield ice scraper on the boats for years, so that's nothing new...but for me, the game changer this year is the C-Nile... enclosed, heat...I've been trying to get an old friend out to the house for years, but he's petrified of water and boats. He finally caved in and came out yesterday. He had a comfortable ride out at 11am, ( I kept checking for facial sweats :-) ), and when I took him in at 6pm, it was cold and raining, but we stayed warm and dry...he wasn't uncomfortable in the least and actually enjoyed the ride!
We are still aiming to have Thanksgiving out there...I'll let you know how THAT goes! Until then, it's just business as usual!
steve-on-mark is online now   Reply With Quote