View Single Post
Old 07-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
jeffk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Like the Sea Ray, 4 Winns uses 16 gauge wiring for OEM audio wiring. Minimum requirement often found in OEM auto applications

Formulas uses 14 gauge wiring. Good for low end audio. The amp power wires are 10 gauge. Instead of a common ground for the four speakers, each speakers have respective ground wire. This was good to know when I upgraded the Babb speakers to DC Gold and the Blaupunkt audio (8 watts) was upgraded to JBL at 40 watts per channel.

Someone gave me a 1200 watts amp to add to the mix. After reading the manual, the speaker wires and the power wires meet the minimum requirements to handle the new amp. The speakers can handle the 300 watts per channel.

I'm thinking of upgrading the speaker wires to 12 and the power wires to 8 to be safe. The wiring harness will not allow me to just replace the old wires with the new by pulling the old wires out with the wires attached. I would need to run new wires. A PITA.

I read online about wireless audio speaker setups. Anyone has any experience?
We went to 6 gauge power wires on my boat. I ended up with 2 amps and the 6 gauge is fine to deliver power for both. The 5 channel amp installation instructions actually suggested 4 gauge wire but Nick said for the short run length in my boat 6 gauge was more than sufficient. However, I am only putting out 75 watts per channel x4 plus 180 watts for subwoofer. If you are putting out 300 watts per channel (number of channels? subwoofer?) you may want a heavier power feed?

No change on the original speaker wire but Nick said it was OK and no significant corrosion.

In my opinion, wireless audio is always a compromise. Its convenience is a plus but there is always a drop in sound quality. How much of that drop you can hear, especially in an outdoor boat environment (wind, water, engine noises) is questionable? People walk around listening to music on their phones that is significantly degraded from CD quality sound and seem perfectly happy. The purist will say the sound quality is lessened and is correct. The average person?????
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote