Thread: Summer Help
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #41
MeredithMan

Default One person's observation....

My daughter is a junior in college, (nursing). Summer 2016 and Summer 2015 she worked in one of the area's beach bar/restaurants. She worked hard there her first year and was great with customers, so the place told her they wanted her back this past summer, and she happily took the job again. She had a number of days of making several hundred bucks in tips, (made almost a grand Labor Day weekend). She's a worker....does whatever needs to be done and is smiling and pleasant to the customers.

However, she had a number of co-workers both summers who were canned not long after being hired because they were either lazy, surly, and/or made dumb mistakes over and over again. Note that these were both college-age kids as well as some adults. My daughter and some of the other good workers would try to coach these folks before they got the boot, but to no avail. Note also that this past summer, she had an adult co-worker who was great at serving customers but that was her career....it wasn't just a summer job and she made a point to educate my daughter and the other "kids" how very difficult it is to get by in life with just an entry-level job.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post: