Thread: Summer Help
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #39
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
I was an entry level employer for my entire career.

From what I have experienced, there is truth in each of the positions poated here.

Some young folks, educated or not, are hard working and ambitious. Others lack effort and initiative. There are also the ones who are emotionally unstable and will self destruct with the smallest amount of stress.

I am happy to be retired here rather than trying to staff a patch of restaurants.

My gig was in an area with plenty of potential employees from which I could choose suitable candidates.

The age of the population here and the seasonal sales peak are two challenges I am happy not to have to endure.
Bingo, It's nearly Impossible to get good entry level young help. Unemployment is so low around here that whats left are the ones who don't want to work, Or realize they can make almost as much by not working. I think It's a small percent but seems much larger due to the relatively low # actually looking for a job. Every kid I know personally under 30 work very hard, mostly still in school as well, but to contrast that, Those I only know through work that are Entry level are not willing or able to keep a job for any amount of time, And yes, they are mostly consuming opiates unfortunately. Entry level is brutal right now, and enormously Important to a small business. It's to easy to stereotype a group when it's really a tiny % that we're talking about "entry level", And I don't know where any previous generation would be if these opiates were as cheap and readily available as they are today. And by the way, The Gov war on drugs is as backwards as ever, DEA recently announced it's intentions to make Kratom a schedule 1 substance, On par with Heroin, When anyone with knowledge would tell you It may be the best way to get these kids of opiates. It seems it's a move to placate the Pharmaceutical company's, But that's a whole other thread.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote