View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Mink Islander;

Let me give you my perspective... The Derby is a charity run event. It's all about getting out ice fishing with family and friends for a good cause. While 99% of ice fisherman are responsible and act in a safe manner, what about the 8 year old kid who was following his father who falls in the 1% category?? Is this youngster responsible for his actions? Yes the father is an idiot but what about the kid?

The other thing I have an issue with is when the Rotary posted this on February 7th on their facebook page... "The ice is in good shape in Center Harbor, 20 Mile Bay, 19 Mile Bay, Alton Bay and other locations on Lake Winnipesaukee." The fact is ice is NOT in good shape and anyone who has been out there knows this. Here is another excerpt posted from a well known Professional guide on Winni ice fishing the same day!!... "Ice gets all soft everyday at noon, like march ice it stinks. More and more ridges and gaping cracks pop up everyday its as bad a si have seen it because its too warm for any of them to re freeze at all, very dangerous situations all over. lots of them are up to 10 feet wide with just plain open water, uncrossable."

How can their be such a disparity of ice conditions noted on the same day?? You will notice that the guide used the term "very dangerous situations all over". Yes Alton bay is safe around the band stand but someone must realize Alton Bay is at least 5 miles long and is no where near safe especially out beyond Sandy Point.

So let's now take that father that falls in the 1% category who reads this misinformation and heads right out to Alton bay with his young son and decides to head to far end of Alton bay because he read it was safe.... Get my point? And yes I also realize there are other stocked lakes in the state but most of them are not in good shape either.

In my opinion since this is simply a charity event, what would have been the big deal to delay or if necessary cancel the event?? Wouldn't erring on the side of safety and caution be the deciding factor here? It's supposed to be a fun family event not a do it no matter what event. Maybe I would of felt differently if they had not posted what I consider an irresponsible post on their facebook page.

Anyway, that's my take and I am sure many will not agree with me and I am fine with that.

I hope everyone attending will have a fun and safe time. As for me, I will be at the boat show in Boston!!

Good luck to all!

Dan
Maybe Donnamatrix can weight in on this?
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote