View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
To JRC.

Obvoiusly you know nothing about muffler installation. You cannot 'borrow' mufflers. It is expensive to install and remove. You have to remove the rubber sleeve between the exhaust pipe and engine and place the muffler in the rubber hose. It gets more complocated if you have water divertors in there. They will have to be remove.

The cheap mufflers that bolts on to the transom pipes are not quiet enough to pass the test.

The Formula 'silent choice' is probably the best in the industry. It is part of the swim platform. Don't know the mechanics behind it but it is not manually switchable so it pass the state test.
Sorry to throw a wrench in your comment but I have the Gibson Clamp on's.. They do get the boat quiet enough but they cost ALOT! well at least I thought they did $650 for a set, not installed, not including shipping..

If I brought this to a marina and asked for them to be put on... well over $1K I am sure.

But the old line you get what you pay for comes to mind.

However just switching them (even though they are clamp ons) is a project and a half.. I had to hammer mine on with a 2x4 and mini sledge hammer.. I don't know if I will ever get them off...