View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteotrade View Post
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in what SPC says... on MON they had us in a slight risk and nothing happened. Today we were not in the slight risk and we've been absolutely hammered, at least down here in southern New England. I would trust the local forecasters over some Oklahoma boys any day!
You have a good point on SPC vs. Local. SPC has disappointed me a lot this summer. They've pulled the alarm a few times for us-- and it needed to be pulled -- but our most active severe weather days have come without any alarm at all from them - local offices only. As you point out, we have today as an example (and yesterday, and the day before that...) I think the SPC are experts in severe weather which is why I follow their discussions, but the difference is, as you say, made by someone who knows New England's unique climate. Weather systems act differently here than outside New England. And unfortunately for forecasting purposes, we don't get a lot of practice with severe weather here like they do on the plains. I'll be the first to admit I'm a lot more confident in snowstorm forecasting than with severe weather. I've heard a lot of New England-born meteorologists say the same.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote