View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 06:35 AM   #63
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
From what I've seen that hasn't been the case. Many circuit board issues. None of the issues have been related to installation. Many more problems than a regular gas boiler. My best friend and my brother inlaw both had them installed in their homes and both have had problems and one had to be replaced after only 5 years. I'm not sure what brand they have, I believe they were Navien, but both are regretting their decisions to install them. Unlike oil fired boilers, regular gas fired boilers almost never need servicing. I built a new house about 10 years ago, which my son now owns. I installed a regular gas boiler with external hot water storage tank. That unit has not been touched since installation while my friends have all had multiple issues with their suitcase style units that are newer.
I see the attraction of not having a dedicated space for a boiler and hot water tank where this unit does both and just hangs on the wall out of the way. And builders love them because they don't need expensive chimneys cutting down the costs of a new house. But I wouldn't install one in my house unless I had limited space issues.
You are right... I wouldn't put one in my house! That being said I service heating equipment including wall hung boilers , not only do they only have warranties for 10-12 years they MUST be serviced yearly! All gas appliances need to be serviced yearly! The 2 biggest problems with these boilers are poor installations and misapplied application. Wall hungs will not give you those high efficiencies placed on a system that requires 180* water, they need to condense to get there! One of the biggest complaints we get are from customers that say it take forever for the house to get warm or that the circulators run forever... both true with outdoor reset on those types of systems! These units were designed for radiant, cast iron, and panel heaters, all low temp applications! I've talked to many that have said that their fuel cost them more now than when they had oil! The combi units are wonderful til something happens and it will and you have neither heat or hot water while being told it will take 1 to 10 days for parts!
For those suggesting Rinaai wall hung water heaters, you need to understand that these have to be flushed yearly or you lose your warranty on the heat exchanger... unless you get someone to lie for you. These also are prone to the screen being plugged and poor water quality creating issues. Why would someone would pay over $3000 for a way to heat their water when they could get it done much cheaper and as cost effective, I'll never know and understand?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post: