View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 05:50 AM   #20
ApS

Thumbs up A little CSI here...

Thanks for finding that.

It's interesting that the final name for the airport was "The Lakes Region Airpark", and not what's printed there. I've sent out a few feelers to determine what date that matchbook was first seen. For a possible date on that matchbook cover, you've got me studying phillumeny on the Internet—the collection of matchbook covers.

What started that study was the appearance of the striking surface on the "front" of the matchbook: I recall that feature was phased out some years ago. That unsafe feature was very handy when lighting-off a backyard pile of dry brush when you would want to throw the whole lighted matchbook, but be far enough from the pile when using old gasoline as a starting fluid!

The last possible date, it turns out, was 1975 of a phase-out that began in 1965—so now those phone numbers need some work. My immediate neighbor didn't recall that matchbook either, but I remember the "420" number as being the lakeside residence abutting the floatplane ramps, as pictured in the aerial photo.

Where "740" rang may have been Merwin and Eleanor Horn's former Sewall Road winter residence, but might have been shared with the workshop—now razed—attached to the northern end of the T-hangers pictured here earlier. (A photo of the workshop appears below).

Just when the telephone numbers changed to the usual seven digits in Wolfeboro I don't recall, but based on a list of Wolfeboro emergency numbers I've saved, it may have been in the late 50s.

Edited to update:
That match company started in 1954, and ceased operations in 1964.

Wolfeboro may have converted to convential telephone numbers as late as 1964! When I return to the lake, I can do some more sleuthing—with the list saved from that era.

What was remarkable is that I apologized to my immediate neighbor about not having a telephone back then. Her reply was that, "None of us had telephones back then". (So why ruin Paradise with "modern communications", anyway).

In truth, appearing at the doorstep with the question, "Y'wannago waterskiing today?" was always a great way to start off a sunny day on Winnipesaukee. (Though we also skied in drizzle and rain wearing ski goggles! )

I've learned that "Merwin" (as we knew him—not Ralph) is how his family still refers to him, and that Eleanor was an immigrant from Nova Scotia. I recall Eleanor being particularly giddy many years ago about Rt 16 being widened all the way from Rochester, which would "bring more customers to the airport".

So...I'm sending more "feelers" out on this to peg the date closer than the late 50s—my best guess today.

The Airpark's heated, and quite-serious aircraft workshop, photographed in 2004:
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 12-18-2008 at 05:44 AM.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote