View Single Post
Old 07-16-2015, 07:06 AM   #40
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Things could really improve if the color the markers were added to with some of the new fluorescent colors that are on the market. The old black and reds are most difficult to see often times.
I know it would be expensive and a problem for anyone that makes charts, but I really wish NH would adopt the standard inland lake marking system that the other states use. The red-topped/black-topped spar concept is WAY too ambiguous for truly safe boating. There's a red topped spar on a lake near my house that I know means to not use an entire channel between an island and shore when entering a cove, but anyone that did not know this would assume it is safe to pass to the west of the spar (it's not, you need to go between the island and the other shore). There's no chart for this lake, so it's not like you can consult your chart to be sure. Simply surrounding offshore hazards with a minimum of three danger buoys and putting one danger buoy outside of hazards near shore makes so much more sense to me. The solid red/solid black spars can stay (and should be expanded in use, IMO) The whole area north of Melvin Village should be marked as a channel with companion red and black spars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I am up in Maine this week on Long Lake.
Off topic, I know, but did you go down through the lock to Sebago? That's a fun trip. I've done it many times. It's VERY well-marked too.