View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #5
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
You can't be serious ?

and besides, I think you TOTALLY missed his point. He is a 30+ year veteran, extremely confident that he is on the proper side of a Marker being told by a "newbie" that he is navigating on the incorrect side (is how I read it)

No, I got his point. I see it happen when I'm out with my Dad all the time. People telling him where to go, checks the map, and continues driving the direction he was.

As far as the color of the buoys go, I've always just referred to the maps.

Reading here:
http://www.duncanpressinc.com/buoys3.htm

Quote:
ALWAYS GO BETWEEN THE BLACK AND RED BUOYS .

Buoys generally (though not always) come in pairs, the black on the port (left) side going upstream and the red on the starboard (right) side. "Red Right Returning" is the mantra for lateral buoys going upstream, on the ocean and on the lakes.
On Lake Winnipesaukee, the solid buoys going upstream follow this plan. But there are also solid pairs of buoys in the middle of the lake, like "The Sixpack" and "The Graveyard."

In such cases, go between the black and the red buoys, no matter what their direction.
Solid red and solid black buoys have NO waypoints on their spars, but they are numbered on the Duncan Press navigation chart, so you can refer to each one by waypoint if necessary to the Marine Patrol Dispatch.
I kind of worded it wrong. Not that the colors have no significance, but there just seems to be too many exceptions to the buoys. The moment I get concerned, I slow my speed and refer to the map.
Sponsored Links