View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Dave R

IMO, there's really no need for a detector.

Given that lidar and radar have limited range that becomes more limited by motion (like a rocking boat), AND that there's wiggle room of +10 MPH like on the road, here's why I think this way:

Based solely on geography, there are places where it's safe to go fast and there's places where it's not. I think this is a reasonable assumption and this concept immediately eliminates many areas that are simply too limited in space for safe high speed operation. If you opt to operate above 55 MPH in tight areas, you deserve a ticket (speed limit or not) IMO.

Where it is safe to go fast, there's no place to hide and catch speeders. If an operator is going over the speed limit in an area that is safe, they only need to avoid coming within 500 to 1000 feet of any stationary boat to avoid having thier speed checked. If you are speeding and you can't avoid a stationary boat by 500 to 1000 feet, you should either slow down, or plan to get a ticket.

Exceeding 40 MPH at night is pretty dumb and if you do that, you deserve a ticket (speed limit or not) IMO.

My point is that a safe and thoughtful boat operator does not have to worry about the speed limit at all. You can't get caught if you just use your head.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: