View Single Post
Old 08-10-2021, 06:40 AM   #55
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Grantings and deed restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank m. View Post
I am almost an abutter to Menotomy and I got worried when they shut down their normal operations a while back. I spoke to the Director down in MA and my fears were calmed. She told me that the land had been granted to them for "Girl Scouting" and that any other use would result in the property going back to the heirs of the grantor. And they could not sell it... could only go back to their heirs. And as a non-profit, they pay no taxes. The little bit they pay for power, upkeep, and insurance was offset by the rent they get from a few weekend events by individual girl scout troops. She assured me that their is no incentive for them to do anything except keep everything exactly as is until/unless girl scouting has a resurgence and the previous normal operations could be resumed.
Restrictions and grants are all 'hogwash' in NH. I remember Cotton Hill Rd in Gilford. The original horse farm at the top has a deed restriction to sub-developing the land but was broken in court. Camp Samoset property was restricted to the 'recreation for Jewish boys' but that also was nulled in court.

I'm sure anyone can find a lot of grants and restrictions nulled. One way of preventing this is to deed the land over to a conservation trust such as LRCT or Belknap Conservatory. But I do expect some brainstorming developer/lawyer with deep pockets to find a way to billions!

My family farm was set up as a trust to Belknap Conservatory. You should have listened to some of the threats from developers on the phone!

The movie 'Yellowstone' is a bit farfetched but can be today's reality!