View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #42
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

I remember it like yesterday. Normal morning at the office in Queens, NY about 4 miles from JFK, then I recived a call from my brother in law who was making a delivery in downtown NYC and he told me to look out my window and that there was a fire at the WTC (I had a beautiful view of WTC from my office window). I immediately turned on the radio to WINS, the 24 hour news station in NY and it was originally reported a small plane had hit.

At that time I had to leave for a meeting in Coney Island and as I traveled along the Belt Parkway which is on the south shore of Brooklyn and Queens I had seen flight 175 hit the second tower and also the first tower fall. By the time we arrived at our meeting we were glued to the TV and watched the second biulding fall.

From my concrete plant in downtown Brooklyn we could see the huge plumes of smoke and dust and later that day the yard was littered with all kinds of dust dirt and a trenmendous amount of office paper. This location of ours is only 5 miles from the center.

As the first tower fell my brother in law had to hide under is truck to avoid being struck by debris.

It was a very emtional and difficult day for us, my best freind is a now retired FDNY Captain how we had no contact with us for two days, a friend and tax client of mine just started on that Monday with Cantor needless to say is no longer with us and his with was pregnant at the time. Cell pone lines where jammed and I was desparetely trying to contact my wife we had just had our 1st child in June.

I actually had a doctor appointment that evening which was obviouly canceled and I still keep the appointment card in my wallet til this day.

I must tell you that it was indeed a very worrisome and troubling and upsetting day but although it is not talked about often the 12th was almost as bad. I had to travel to work to make sure our plant in downtown Brooklyn was ok and my brother in law (who ened up leaving his truck and walking over the Brooklyn Bridge to get home) where on the LIE at 5 am and from Long Island all the way into Brooklyn we literally did not see one car on the road ther where no people out, it was the most unsettling and eary feeling I have ever had in my life, LI and the boroughs were a ghosttown.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote