View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #39
MaidenCove07

Thumbs up Pleasantly surprised and impressed

I hope more Forum members will give these folks a chance.

I too had frequented the Bedford Weathervane and found them to be lacking the motivation to keep their quality, but the Chester spot has always been consistently good (though I only get there perhaps once a year).

Since Lobster in the Rough opened, I've been there twice to give it a try. Once during Bike Week which isn't necessarily the best time to get food in the Weirs, but I was delighted by the service and the food. The lobster is Out of this world. Steaming it rather than boiling it makes more of a difference that I ever knew. It was tender and juicy, sweet and delicious. My friends had the haddock plates and raved about the fish.

Last night we needed a spot for a late diner and stopped in again as we didn't want to have to drive anywhere, so we strolled up and they were still open. The service was again outstanding even though we were just on the edge of closing time. We never felt rushed and because we were last in the place, we got a tag-team of servers each as friendly as the last.

This time, my dining partner had the ribs. I was very, very concerned about ordering non-seafood meals in a seafood specialty restaurant, but the sauce was described as tangy, but not spicy, full of flavor. The meat didn't necessarily fall off the bone, but was very good and she'd have them again.

I had the clam strip special and my other pal had a lobster roll (it was too late and we'd had a few too many cocktails to fight with the shell of a whole lobster ).

The clam strips were very obviously fresh not frozen, and were so sweet and tender! YUMMY! The onion nuggets that came with the lobster roll were also hand battered, not frozen and very tender. My lobster roll was superb. Mostly claw and knuckle meat, but very juicy and sweet, not too much mayo or greenery, and a well toasted roll.

Like some of you, I too was concerned about a chain restaurant, but it seems that Lobster in the Rough is trying to make it's own name with the Weathervane brand as back up.

We asked a few questions of the gals there and they have started with a base menu and are asking for suggestions as to what else customers want on the menu. I was asked to fill out a comment card and was asked to be specific about the things we were looking for. I thought it maybe good to have a la carte orders of seafood in pint and quart sizes so you can mix and match the foods you like. A surf and turf plate with ribs and seafood would also be a good idea if the ribs continue to be as good.

We're definitely going back and will keep you posted if we fail to have a good experience, but again, I have been delighted with both visits.

Hope y'all give them a try too.