View Single Post
Old 04-29-2020, 11:01 AM   #71
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Yes, unfortunately, there are alarmists. It wasn't that long ago that we made the decision to quarantine and shelter in place based on "models" showing two to three million Americans dying from the Chinese coronavirus. Essentially, we've experienced a bad flu season. (I question the death numbers we are seeing. I think they're inflated. They include deaths from hospice facilities, for example. There appears to be no discrimination between the flu or the Chinese coronavirus. Nearly every death with an associated sickness is being attributed to Chinese coronavirus, without the benefit of autopsies.)

Anyway, the models were completely wrong. The alarmists and the media are complicit in ginning up this so-called crisis.
The fact of the matter is that the death rates (from any cause) have been way over what would be in the average range for this time of year, indicating that something unusual is going on. (You can look this up. There are many graphs showing the spike in deaths vs the seasonal averages)

As a resident in the Boston area, I have been shocked at the size of the death notices section in the Sunday Globe for the last several weeks. Last Sunday's obituaries filled over 21 pages. It's pretty shocking to turn all those pages, and not at all normal. And these deaths are occurring within a lockdown scenario. Imagine if life had been going on as usual? The hospitals would be even more overwhelmed and we'd be digging mass graves.

It's great that NH hasn't been as hard hit, but no-one should minimize the risk of a very contagious and unpredictable disease. Especially since there are asymptomatic carriers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pam For This Useful Post: