View Single Post
Old 04-20-2009, 07:49 AM   #109
NoRegrets

Default GPS Accuracy and then some........

GPS Accuracy – The new GPS systems should be within 15 feet accurate. Most systems can adjust the display to enhance the accuracy. When I first started to use my system the tracking was off by about 50 feet. This meant that the tracks would be going over ground through the Weirs Channel. I was able to adjust it to be right on. If you have an external antenna or use an internal antenna the position in your boat may be to one side (possibly at the helm). This will give you a reason to adjust your display to offset a few feet so it would look like the antenna is in the center of the vessel. I believe it was around 2003 when the US government implemented GPS WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System). This WAAS system uses fixed ground points and adjusts errors in the satellite positioning. It is really magic or science fiction to think about the general use of satellites. Check out WAAS on Wikkipedia if you really want to be impressed.

Hi swnoel - I am not immune to the bonehead captain moves and I do appreciate the frustration of everyone placed at risk by them. I have to consciously maintain composure at times but then reflect on my rookie mistakes and hope that someday the boneheads will learn like every responsible boater has. If not I appreciate witnessing good MP stops!

I will also agree with FLL with the observation that there were no boats on the lake. We only saw 6 boats yesterday between Paugus bay and Meredith. The sun’s solar effect through the isinglass was fantastic. The air coming of the water was cool. There was virtually no wind so the lake was smooth as glass. It was/is a great way to start the season.