Thread: Toll Tokens
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
ghfromaltonbay

Default I agree, ITD

I hope they do put the EZ pass in before the summer season. It is definitely a convenience. If NH signs on, I'll be able to travel 310 miles from NJ to NH without having to stop and pay a toll. I've had EZ pass since the NY Thruway installed it quite a few years ago, and even though their is no discount for me on the Tappan Zee Bridge ($3) it's worth it to travel on the Garden State Parkway (where they are installing high speed lanes), NY Thruway, Mass Pike, and hopefully the Everett & Spaulding Turnpikes without having to stop and pay tokens. On the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway they are installing high speed toll lanes. They've removed the narrow booths at the leftmost toll plazas and have overpasses that record your passing at the speed limit (65 mph in some places). It's great!
I don't know why NH doesn't give the commuters a break like the Thruway does on the Tappan Zee Bridge. This solution would help the folks in the Merrimack area. The plan works like this: If you subscribe to EZ Pass in NY State as a commuter and use the TZ Bridge at least 20 times during the month, the toll is reduced to the commuter rate of $1.50. If you are only an occasional user of the bridge the rate is the normal $3.00. You only pay heading east toward Westchester County, not westbound. On the George Washington Bridge, EZ Pass users are charged $4, while cash payers pay $6. This rate applies no matter how often you use the GW. From what I read in the NH papers, the NH lawmakers seem to live in a vacuum and don't know what the other states are doing. They aren't losing money with their discounts, and NJ still allows tokens to be used, although the discount is only $.30 on a $.35 toll.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote