View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #46
oceanadventura

Game Wardens were out in force on the 8th posting thin ice markers all around Meredith Bay so this Ice Shack headed to the bottom doesnt surprise me. It's only been iced over for 3 days and we've only had 5 days of cold weather. I am not from around here, but in Maine it takes at least 2 weeks straight of 25 or below days to freeze a lake solid, not 3 days It might look safe, but it surely is not. I wouldnt be surprised to still see large air pockets or open water at his point.

I now live on Meredith Neck (moved here last sept) at the end of the peninsula and I wouldnt be caught dead out on the ice right now. When I drove into town yesterday I saw 3 shacks right in the bay as well as a 4-wheeler parked next to one of them. Not 90 or so feet away were the thin-ice signs. Ice isnt the same thickness everywhere and it moves under the ice with the water flow from wind down the lake where it's still open. As the wind kicks up, the ice thickness underneath changes with the currents. Open ice anywhere means ice thickness varies EVERYWHERE (although it varies everywhere even when no openspots exist, just not as drastically). Check it every 30-50 ft if you're going to be out and stay away from shallow/shoreline areas where ice is thinnest.

Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting total ice-in as I've not yet had a chance to snowmobile the lake yet as this is the first winter for me here. I hope it remains cold for the next 2 weeks with NO snow. Snow slows down the ice making process as it acts as an insulator lol. Once it's frozen solid, then order me a nice blizzard with a side of no wind, and hold the cherry on top
oceanadventura is offline   Reply With Quote