View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
ApS

Wink Electrical Mysteries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
"...Last year I bought a trickle charger from West. It is an automatic, won't overcharge and I think that it goes over 2 amps when needed but will not boost...I have heard from boyhood and have witnessed that leaving a battery on a concrete floor will kill the thing. This does happen. WHY? What is in a concrete floor that causes this to happen?
By the way, I winterize my batteries on a wooden rack with a monthly trickle charge..."
Using a tiny trickle charger, I charged a new battery on gravel last summer and managed to evaporate all the water away! Concrete (and maybe gravel) may act as an inductor that draws the charge from the battery through the case. As above, a wooden rack with a monthly trickle-charge seems like the better solution—but personally, I'd opt for twice-monthly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
"...If you park a modern car for a week and then start it in sub-zero weather, it'll draw a whole lot of current after the car starts. You can hear it in the alternator, if you know what to listen for..."
I've heard it too, but I think what is heard is the added loading at the alternator belt.

Or was it Martha Stewart?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote