View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #21
Denny Crane

Default Deck Stains

Any film forming product such as a solid stain or paint on a horizontal surface such as a deck, railing, or fence will peel over time. Over time the number of layers that build up and the weight of the product will become inflexible and lift. If you have solid stain you are stuck, unless you want to strip it down to bare. Behr makes a pretty good deck stripper that you apply with a pump sprayer then a strong wash with a powerwasher. It's worked well on floors but it might be too much work to do railings. A clear or semitransparent will not peel, but it's good for only 2-3 years. UV light kills semitransparent stains, but at least it won't peel. One exception though. Sikkens makes a nice SDR stain that I use on my PT deck and fence, however it has a slight sheen after a number of year applying and flakes. Eventually I needed to use the Behr stripper and sand the floor with an orbital sander. Bottom line, every solid product will peel, so if you have a choice while it is still bare, pick a semi or semi solid product.
DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny Crane For This Useful Post: