View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #70
Trail Goer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
Hesitant to wade into these shark infested waters but how many of these commenters have been on a well maintained bicycle trail in a tourism hot spot like our lake?
I admit that I don't know the number of train riders but I would wager many, many times more people (locals and tourists) would use the trail for hiking and cycling than train riders. These bike trails generate lots of tourism dollars as people want healthy forms of recreation. You can see it all around the country.
I have ridden bike trails in FL, on the west coast and principally in New England. Almost without exception, businesses along rail trails love the business these trails generates. Cyclists and walkers stop for refreshments, meals, a beer (or two) and come back again and again. Cycling is easy on the joints and I know many cyclists in their 70s who easily do 20 miles daily (especially along rail trails with their modest grade changes).
I would like to see trail accommodate more people than the limited numbers of train riders - and I have nothing against trains. It is simply a matter of highest and best use of this corridor. Hands down it is for people powered transport.
Well, I guess there is blood in the water now
In 2019 two different reports were release for 2 different studies done.
One clearly omitted info to try and sell the trail as the better option but the numbers never added up, the other study painted a clearer picture. At first they tried to brush the 2nd study under the rug, until every body and their mother, showed up to the city council meeting in November 2019. At that time the report for the other study was brought to the city counsels attention and the new mayor to be, asked for some time to look over that report. A couple of months later and going off off both reports, the city counsel reversed direction and decided to stop pushing the issue. Instead a Blue Ribbon Committee was formed, made of individuals from the city, the wow trail, SD & LB and one or both railroads. Nobody is denying the WOW Trail to build phase 3 and 4 but what has been denied is the option to remove the railroad tracks. Lake phase 1 and 2, if they want phase 3 and 4, it will have to be done in the same manner. It is the responsibility of that Blue Ribbon Committee, to figure out how is done. Unfortunately there has been little (if any) updates since early 2020.
Trail Goer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail Goer For This Useful Post: