Thread: Wow trail
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #248
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Here's a Dec 2 letter to the editor published in The LaDa Sun.

'Concord and Laconia keep railroad on life support'

To The Daily Sun

Laconia Mayor-elect Andrew Hosmer and the rest of the city council's recent delay on the proposed rail-trail is impacting not just Laconia but the entire state.

The New Hampshire railroad industry is dead; it's been dead for a long time. The state owned railroad line from Concord to Lincoln is an example of what is wrong with Concord and the way the state rules.

From what I've seen, the Bureau of Rail, Transit and Aeronautics is controlled by nostalgic railroad fans that want to return New Hampshire to the glory days or railroading - think steam engines, Pullman cars and the grand hotels.

This isn't going to happen in Laconia or anywhere in the Granite State.

Also, because of Concord, New Hampshire no longer has a manufactoring or commodity base to support any railroad, and even if it did, it wouldn't be competitive against interstate 93 and, once the 5G network is finished, driverless trucks.

The New Hampshire railroad industry is dead; it's been dead for a long time. The politicians in Laconia and Concord want to keep it on life support.

Steven J Connolly
Bethlehem

Here in New Hampshire, we don't really have a railroad, what we have is more like a failroad. .... my comment-fll.
A useful on topic post. Thank you.

However I disagree that the rail system in NH is dead and I certainly disagree with Mr Connolly. Try telling this to the Hobo and Winnipesaukee Rail Companies, Conway Scenic Rail and others that continue to employee residents of this state and continue to be profitable.

Watch the video of the town meeting and tell me that rail is dead. You are just pushing your agenda of removing the rail in place of the trail.

I keep saying it, if you want the trail they should coexist. If you think the trail will be that more socially and economically beneficial to the area than spend the extra dollar for them to run parallel.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote