Thread: Wow trail
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 09:08 PM   #59
jetskier

Post Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birchhaven View Post
Hi JetSkier,

My opinion of the trail goes back and forth. I do find all arguement people use for and against paper thin. Basic political fear mongering. For instance the crime argument is a joke. Does anyone really think criminals care if they have to walk on tracks or a trail to break into someones house. (I would actually think they would prefer no trail, so less eyes on there activity). The homeless people living on the tracks always did, now people just see it because now they use the trail.

I understand that the federal money requires that. I am saying that I disagree with that requirement and I think the money could be raised else where so that, snowmobiles, golf carts, etc can use the trail. As state property other things like UTVs should be allow to use it not just snowmobiles (whole other conversation). The federal requirement has a purpose I don't think it works well in our area. A big part of the enjoyment of the lakes region is all the toys people use and the trail system should lean on that not push it away.

I had not hear that 1 million dollar # but WOW. 1st that means for roughly 15 weeks, 7 days a week, they sell close to 500 adult tickets per day. No way!! haha, I see it empty 80% of the time and at most 30 people on it. So I am missing something that they are selling to generate that revenue. 2nd, That train has got to cost way more than 1 million to operate per year. 3rd if that is correct, 100k to the state is not enough to maintain those tracks, not even close. So it is being subsidized one way or another. So we should all stop saying it is profitable and that the state makes money on it. What we should say is that it is a nice novelty, and probably draws money in other ways, and employs a lot of people and that is all good.

This also goes to my point the city is researching the economic impact the tracks have beyond just the trail. But does it actually draw people, I 100% guarantee you that with no track the city pulls in way more than 100k in additional tax revenue.

Like I said my opinion changes like the wind on this subject, but at the monent after seeing those numbers, I gotta say I am pro trail.
Hi birchhaven,

First, the crime argument is no joke. I am attaching a link to a 91-A disclosure of the police activity (does not include the fire department activity) from 2016 to November of 2018. There are issues with homeless encampments, drugs, transients accosting pedestrians. This is no joke!

You can't take federal alternative transportation money and allow motorized trail use...period! The existing phase 1 and phase 2 segments of the trail are 50% subsidized by federal money.

The railroad(s) - Winnipesaukee Scenic, Hobo, New England Southern and Lafayette Dinner train are all active and create revenue, jobs and secondary benefits. The repair depot in Lincoln also relies on the railway. So, there is substantial impact to removing the tracks. Personally, I have never heard anyone say that they are coming up to the lake for the reason of using the WOW trail.

Jetskier

https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/580...kc5_916831.pdf

Last edited by jetskier; 12-16-2018 at 09:10 PM. Reason: update
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post: