View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
I'm in a situation where I need to replace my Oil boiler before the winter. I'm calling for estimates from a couple different sources but I'd like to source the collective knowledge of the forum members.

I currently have FHW by oil with 2 x 30 year old 275 gal tanks in the garage. My previous heating system company apparently had not properly cleaned the boiler for many years and there is soot totally clogging all passageways that has turned to hard concrete. There is apparently little chance of properly cleaning it without potentially damaging the cast iron core..... As I said the soot has turned as hard as concrete and would have to be chiseled out.

I have no chimney so I'm stuck with a power vent which brings its own set of problems. The SS power vent is 1 yr old

As I see it I have 3 choices.

Cheapest would be to swap out the boiler with a new one of similar quality. I"d probably need to / should swap out the tanks as well due to their age. I'm sure with the condition of the existing boiler the true efficiency was way down so a new standard boiler should be a marked improvement.

Or

I could switch over to Propane (this is the recommendation of Eastern Propane who currently supplies my oil). A new High Eff. Propane boiler would put me at 92 + % efficiency but would tie me to the Propane company. I would have to remove the oil tanks as well with this option. Do the outside units for the Mitsu heat pumps need to be placed under cover? What about the potential for them to get covered in snow with no one to uncover them with an unoccupied home

. I've getting an estimate for a Mitsubishi split Heat Pump system next week. I know this system is universally praised but how does it work on those cold winter nights at the lake? Can it be trusted to be the only heating source? The house isn't occupied for much of the winter so starting a fire if it's really cold out isn't an option.

I could keep the old boiler, clean it as well as it can be cleaned and use it for backup only if I get the Mitsubishi system, I'd probably swap out the 2 tanks for a single new one as 275 gal should be more than enough on site storage when it's only for backup.

All thoughts welcome.

Thank you

Charlie T
Propane is expensive, even with a high efficiency boiler.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote