Thread: Bike Week
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #22
jrc

Daver, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I just a did a little digging and I find no correlation between bike size and accidents. Bing will take you to the gov's stat's. I bet you can guess what cause 61% of weekend bike fatalities...booze.

Actually my experience tells me the opposite on size. There is a very short term comfort issue with the weight, a heavy bike intimidates new riders. But once that is overcome, size or horsepower has no relationship on safety. Just because you can badly drive a 900cc sport bike, doesn't mean you can't badly drive a 350cc.

Aggressive driving is risky on any bike. You really should never be in a position where a small change in throttle position will get you sideways, on a public road. It is possible to drive that bike safely.

I'd be for a driving class requirement, I'd prefer the insurance companies force the issue rather than the government. I'd even consider a no passengers for youthful or new drivers type of restriction. But size is really a poor gauge.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote