View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
You have a strange way of boosting one's confidence... If I was LaFuga, I'd tell you what to do with that smiley face!!!
Here, I'll try to phrase it more directly for you:

Old boats tend to be a lot of work and can have a lot of hidden costs and problems.

Marine/marina mechanics don't have all the answers, and may try troubleshooting things via seemingly random approaches, lie to you, skip steps, or otherwise do things that end up costing you more than they should.

You would be well served to know the basic systems on your vessel, and be able to do diagnostics and repairs on your own. At the very least, be able to approximately diagnose some things at least to the point you can tell if the mechanic seems competent or not.

There is "nothing amazing" about this story in that thousands of boat owners across the state, country, or world, could probably tell you similar stories.

Sure, you can call out the marina if you like, though diagnosing problems like this can be less than straightforward, plus we would probably still only have 1 side of the story.

In hindsight, it certainly could have been handled better on both sides.