View Single Post
Old 07-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #19
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Family been on Winnipesaukee since 1892. I grew up on The Broads from 1950 to about 2000. The family moved to Winnisquam because the atmosphere of the lake and neighborhood was getting worst. Never regret the move, in fact a number of 'old families' have moved to other lakes in the Lakes Region.
I envy those on Newfound Lake. Excellent boat ramp and a friendly atmosphere. Don't get me wrong, Winnisquam is a lot quieter and friendlier than Winnipesaukee. I'm 70 and enjoy waterskiing on this lake because it is a lot calmer, don't have to worry about yahoos cutting me off.

As for the neighborhood, it was basically blue-collar until the mid '90's when taxes skyrocketed and folks decided to sell. Big spenders buy up the properties, tear down beautiful lake cottages and build McMansions. Neighborhoods were known for annual 'block parties' until the NIMBYs call the police. They even call the police if fellow boaters anchor out front to visit! They are so anti-neighborly!

Some food for thoughts if you really want to enjoy Lakes Region.
My understanding is it varies a lot on where you are on the lake. We are looking mostly at Tuftonboro and Moultonboro on Mainland and islands (nothing on the broads).

Newfound lake was great but there wasn't much to go to by boat after 35 years. We thought it would be cool to go to restaurants by boat. But maybe that's a grass is greener thing.

We have considered Winnisquam, Squam, Sunapee as well. The range of islands on Winni was attractive. Some really nice properties for much less money.

But you post is food for thought. And some of what you said is happening on NewFound as well. Just not as fast as on Winni.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote