View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 09:11 AM   #62
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
Wolf man, I really don't know what you are posting about.

An accident happened in Maine, authorities in Maine are investigating, a Go Fast boat was involved but it seems from the latest article that there are still unanswered questions.

That's pretty much it.

Are you advocating we go back to the days of a horse and buggy? That was slow.

Giving up your motorized vessel soon?
My response was to the postings about this incident's effect on the movement to establish boating speed limits here in NH. I expressed agreement that they wouldn't work. My reason for believing they won't work: A law can't do anything if the entire society has "go-fast" on its mind. Laws only work when society wants them to.

I didn't say anything about going back to the past. What I did say is that I see a trend, everywhere in society, that "go-fast" and self-absorption are becoming popular. I think that is one driving force behind our numerous Captain Bonehead sightings, but the problem isn't limited to our lakes.

Summary: The problem on which others in this thread have commented has deep roots and therefore it will take more than laws to solve it. Since we are a nation that follows the lead of what's popular, and because I don't want more laws, I think the best solution is a publicity movement to popularize the things we'd like to see -- in this case, safer, more courteous boating practices.