View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerguy View Post
I too let my son drive the boat at a young age, but I was always paying close attention to course, speed and traffic. While he drove at night, I was directly behind him, to take over immediately when I noticed an error in judgement.

Sounds like bad parental supervision of an underage driver, and certainly should be taken as a learning lesson to anyone reading this thread.
Totally agree 100%. However, maybe the 13yr old was going where the adult was telling him to go..., we don't know that yet, and probably never will. Either way, it is COMPLETELY the adult's fault as far as I'm concerned. Hope the kid's confidence doesn't take to big of a hit. That is the adult's responsibility too... Nothing like the ear to ear grin on a kid's face when driving anything!!! I love seeing that!! I used to let my son sit on my lap and drive a car when he was 3 or 4, (my father did the same for me). Again, at age 3 or 4, I used to have my son sit in front of me while snowmobiling, and I would let him take complete control all the time, and by the time he was 8 or 9, I gave him that sled which he was very familiar with as his first sled to ride solo, (670cc), and he handled it just fine. Never had an issue with him. Now, at age 23, (fingers crossed), he has NEVER had any incidents on a sled, boat, motorcycle, or car. Better to start them young so it's "no big deal" to them when they become legal and are responsible for passengers and other's on the road, trail, or water IMHO.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 08-13-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote