View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #29
thom45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Published Date

Written by Adam Drapcho

LACONIA — Keinan Martin learned to love tinkering when he was growing up in Laconia, getting his hands dirty in the engine bays of cars. That led to a 20 year career as an aircraft engineer for the U.S. Navy. After retiring from the armed service, Martin is back in Lakeport, spending his days tinkering in his garage, and he's happier than ever.
Martin, and his wife Christina, decided after his retirement from the Navy to come back to Laconia. In 2006, they moved into the home on Mechanic Street where she grew up. Martin found work as a small engine technician working for a local landscaping firm. After a few years, though, he decided he could do the work for his own benefit. "I spent 20 years working for Navy chiefs — I wanted to be the boss." So, in 2009, he started Lakeport Power Equipment, operating out of the two-car garage at his residence.
Martin's business took some time to build up. Running a business out of his home, he's prohibited from using signage to advertise. Through word-of-mouth and repeat customers, though, he was soon working 12-hour days and spending Saturdays making deliveries. "This has turned out to be quite fun," he said. His business has grown to the point where he's taken on his daughter, Emily, to help answer phones and interface with customers.
One might think that a snowblower or a chainsaw would be too simple to keep the interest of someone who spent two decades working on military aircraft. Martin has found the work intriguing, however. "They're more complicated than you think," he said. And, like aircraft, automobiles or any other device, technology continues to march forward. Many lawnmower companies, he said, have adopted electronic fuel injection and on-board diagnostic systems. "There's always something that's new to learn."
In contrast to the latest equipment to roll off the assembly line, Martin also has customers that bring in equipment that is about as old as he is. Average age of lawnmowers in the Lakes Region is between 10 and 20 years old, he estimated, and some are decades older than that. "You see a lot of vintage equipment that people bring in here. You can still find parts for them," he said.
He expected to like the tinkering, but what Martin likes best about running his business came as a surprise. "I didn't know it at first, one of the nicest things is dealing with the customers — I enjoy pleasing my customers."
He must be good at it, because he estimated that 90 percent of his business is from repeat customers. His business philosophy is simple but effective, "I try to offer the best possible service at the best possible price," and he doesn't allow his value-conscious pricing to undermine the quality of his work. "When their equipment leaves the shop, I want it to be running as if it were my equipment."
"I wouldn't do this if I didn't love tinkering," said Martin. Even so, what keeps him satisfied is the chance to serve his customers. "I've been happier doing this than working for someone else... You get to see the customer happy, you get to see that they value me and value my shop. I like making them happy."

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/index...to-be-own-boss
I went ice fishing this afternoon but didn't get far due to problems with my Strikemaster ice auger - self inflicted. I remembered these posts and when I got home I looked up to see who my best bet would be. I opted for Lakeport Power Equipment am extremely glad that I did. At 4:30 on Saturdaay afternoon he was willing to fix it then and when I asked what I owed he replied no charge. It's extremely rare to find someone like this and he has developed a loyal customer in me. Kudos to Lakeport Power Equipment and Keinan Martin.
thom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thom45 For This Useful Post: