View Single Post
Old 01-28-2022, 02:28 PM   #48
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Is anyone here heating solely with splits and staying year round (not just to maintain temp for off season)? We will be renovating our new (to us) home in Gilford this spring and need to replace all systems. It is currently full of electric baseboards and a few single zones of hydronic baseboard tied to an old boiler that needs to go. There are also 2 pellet stoves which we will keep.

Thinking of putting in new multi-zone hyper heat Mitsubishi units throughout the house. Also investigating the Daikin VRV. It seems to run dual fuel with propane as well, so you can set it to run LP when really cold and switch to electric when a bit warmer. Any experiences with this setup?

One of the Mitsu contractors I spoke with was also a geothermal guy and was really pushing me that way, which we aren't interested in.
In Massachusetts we are virtually 100% Mitsubishi mini splits. (our bathrooms have little kick board type units). They have been fine even on the coldest days--I think we reached -8 or -10 a couple of years ago. Our home is well insulated. If we were building a new home today, we would also go 100% mini splits. But the lake has gone down to -15 or so over the past week or two, so you should check the specs from Mitsubishi or another forum member to confirm those last few degrees. Or maybe your pellet stoves are enough for the very small number of sub -10 nights? Good luck!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote